Tuesday, May 6, 2008

On Growing Up

Trying to figure out adult life - for us, life after school - is an ongoing process around here. Some days I'm convinced I'm on the right track, feeling good about where we are.

Other days - and there have been a lot of those in the last two weeks - I suddenly see how clumsy I have been with work interactions, how I'm letting slide quality time with Wal, how behind I am on everything that usually makes me feel on top of things.

It's hard to even really say what I expect from myself at 23. My expectations a year ago at graduation were ... vague, at best. In the months before graduation I had been focused soley on getting us both jobs and landing a place to live -- those I knew we needed.

We had some ideas of what we wanted. Wal wanted a cat.

Pictured: Cat, check. Almost enough fluffy blankets to suit her majesty.


I wanted us to do joint checking and a joint credit card. We wanted to settle into these jobs and stay a year at the absolute minimum (complete and ongoing). I wanted to repay my student loans.

In college, it seemed like you could only plan for "after graduation." Now I feel more able to plan for 1 year, 5 years, and more down the road. I'm also adjusting to new messes being thrust in my path that I have to work to get a grasp on -- doctors and insurance, taxes, car stuff.

As usual for me, I still have a lot to learn on organization and productivity.

There is a lot left for me to learn in the subtleties about work. I have some excellent co-workers to learn from, and I appreciate so many of them offering me advice and help along the way. It's hard to even comprehend how much I have learned about my company's specialty in just one year - but at the same time, humbling how much I don't know about it, or project management and contracting as a whole. (Lately, I have been re-learning that lesson every week.)

More ruminations another day.

----------------------

I love Sarah's "25 and Over," a list of items you should have gotten down in order to act like a grown up. Keep an eye out for one of my favorite Tomato Nation quotes: "If you are fed up with how you look, buy a new shirt or stop eating cheese."

And what got me in the mood to finally write this post, which I had been composing since I started the blog: Corynne's intro post on her piece of Simply Stated.

2 comments:

Walrus said...

Excellent post. Sorry that you have been under a lot of stress recently. I think you do an admirable job keeping things all together even in the roughest patches. I'll try to keep up the warm meals so that you can get your work done. :)

I loved the links to Tomato Nation and Real Simple, too.

Suzanne said...

Kate, you have a far better handle on this than people many years older than you.

It's not a negative to face these things-they're things to be conquered. You'll do it, and do it well.